Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:41:05 -0400

[PLUG] Using mon to watch dns

I need to gather statistics on DNS reliability for a particular
host. (I think something's not my fault, I'd like data to clear my
name.) In particular, I want to query the MX server for this domain to
see how often it's available.

I was thinking of using mon to collect the data, but I'm finding it a
bit hard to configure, despite having listened to Jim Trocki's mon
talk (I guess that was to phl.pm). As Jim pointed out, naming a
program after a name of the week makes google searches really hard.

Has anyone out there played with mon enough to help me get started? I
haven't found any examples of using mon for watching dns, it's not
totally clear to me from the mon docs, and even DNS itself is a bit
mysterious to me in its details.

--
 Jeff