JP Toto on Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:12:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Local Mirrors?

Isn't BitTorrent fairly new and only recently released? It might have a little way to go before it's stable enough to use regularly. They kinda opened w/ a big splash w/ Red Hat iso's but since then I've heard it's not he most reliable system yet.

Kevin Brosius wrote:
Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Brosius" <kbrosius@kns.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Local Mirrors?

JP Toto wrote:

Michael C. Toren wrote:

- If there are significant costs... would folks be willing to pony up

small membership fee annually to offset the cost of having their own
local mirror to use for rsyncing, apt-updating, and ISO downloading?

There could easily be significant costs, but it's difficult to

quantify

without estimating how much traffic the mirror would generate, which

is

also difficult to do. My biggest question, though, is what would be

the

advantages over using a freely available public mirror that exists

today?

Is there a shortage of gentoo mirrors?

There isn't really a shortage that I can see... but the gentoo mirrors are strained a little. I can't speak for other distros but I imagine some of the debian mirrors might get bogged down a little. The advantage to having a local plug mirror would be for plugers to use for rsyncing, apt-getting, and iso downloading. I just thought I would gauge interest. If the costs would outweigh the benefits then I can understand.

Thanks,
-mct

Anybody tried out BitTorrent? Maybe the people who have full time connections could pool together to sponsor some additional BitTorrent bandwidth. This alleviates the purchasing bandwidth issue, but doesn't guarantee any level of service either.

--
Kevin Brosius

I tried to get RH 9 using BitTorrent from a box running Win 98. The box would freeze every time when 40% of download complete. I've read that people running BitTorrent on a Linux box were more successful, though. Sergey Ostrovsky.

So that's two votes for bad results...  I was going to setup for RH9
iso's with BitTorrent, but never got around to opening up the extra
firewall ports.

(Hi Sergey :))

--

JP Toto