Michael F. Robbins on Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:32:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Weird problem - top, tail -f, ping

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 15:59, adam@looney.com wrote:
> I'm running a redhat 7.2 server with mysql MAX, and kernel 2.4.18-27.7
> (smp) right out of the RH dist.
> All of the sudden, cmds such as top, ping, tail -f (things that
> continually update the screen) won't run.  In the case of top, I get
> nothing but a screen clear (and I have to ^C to get back to the CL).
> With ping, it sends off one ping and that's it.
> With tail -f <somebusymysqllog>, if you suspend the tail, and then bring
> it back, you'll get some more output.
> There's nothing telling in the logs, and nothing weird in dmesg.

What is your access method?  XTerm, local VT, serial console, SSH?  I've
recently noticed the exact behavior you've described with "top" on a
serial console (a vt100 emulator running on an otherwise useless
laptop).  However, "top" runs just fine in a local VT or konsole.

You've given the kernel version but the ncurses version is probably more
relevant here.  I'm on kernel 2.4.20.  dpkg shows libncurses4 4.2-10 and
libncurses5 5.3.20021109-2.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com