adam on Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:53:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Weird problem - top, tail -f, ping

I'm running this via ssh in an xterm.
ncurses is 5.2-12
Additional things of note.  I have installed "gtop" which also
will not run.
The only common thread between ping, tail, gtop and top is libc.so.6 (and
ld-linux).

Thanks,
Adam

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 04:31:23PM -0400, Michael F. Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 15:59, adam@looney.com wrote:
> > I'm running a redhat 7.2 server with mysql MAX, and kernel 2.4.18-27.7
> > (smp) right out of the RH dist.
> > All of the sudden, cmds such as top, ping, tail -f (things that
> > continually update the screen) won't run.  In the case of top, I get
> > nothing but a screen clear (and I have to ^C to get back to the CL).
> > With ping, it sends off one ping and that's it.
> > With tail -f <somebusymysqllog>, if you suspend the tail, and then bring
> > it back, you'll get some more output.
> > There's nothing telling in the logs, and nothing weird in dmesg.
>
> What is your access method?  XTerm, local VT, serial console, SSH?  I've
> recently noticed the exact behavior you've described with "top" on a
> serial console (a vt100 emulator running on an otherwise useless
> laptop).  However, "top" runs just fine in a local VT or konsole.
>
> You've given the kernel version but the ncurses version is probably more
> relevant here.  I'm on kernel 2.4.20.  dpkg shows libncurses4 4.2-10 and
> libncurses5 5.3.20021109-2.
>
> Michael F. Robbins
> mike@gamerack.com

		///	www.radioactivecat.com     ///
             (That's not yours! Drop it, or I'll shoot!)
NOTE: While signatures are arguably a blemish, they are a well-understood
convention, and conveying the same information in headers exposes it to
mangling and makes it rather less conspicuous....