Mark Jason Dominus on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:40:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Two passwd files?

> I want to use rsync and ssh to push the passwd file (and others) as an
> alternative to NIS.  The question is, is it possible to have a "local"
> passwd file as an extension to the pushed passwd file?

1. Can't you configure exactly that behavior using /etc/nsswitch.conf?

2. Doesn't NIS have something like that already built into it?  Like,
the NIS file ends with a line that begins with "+", and that tells it
to consult the local password file also?   Or something like that?