Paul on Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:56:24 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Two passwd files?

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

You could post-process locally with sed to change the root line:

I came up with another idea. On the "master" system, what about grep'ing out user account lines with UIDs 500 and above and placing them in a serperate file called something like "passwd.shared"? Then, copy "passwd.shared" to the remote systems. On the remote systems, append the "passwd.shared" file to the "passwd.local" file to form a new passwd file?

So, on each system, the "passwd.local" file will contain all of the original, system specific accounts, minus any regular user accounts. The regular user accounts will be added when "passwd.shared" is combined with "passwd.local" to form the new passwd file.

Is that crazy?  Could all of the scripting take place on the server?

I think that approach would work for groups and hosts as well.