gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:20:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] $20 wireless PCMCIA card

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 03:41:52PM -0400, Stewart B. Lone wrote:
> I have been looking at various IBM laptops. The either come with Wi-Fi
> installed already or "Wi-Fi Upgradable". Their options seem to indicate
> that only a Cisco card will do. "  3- Can be wireless enabled with the
> addition of an optional wireless LAN Mini PCI Card. These systems are
> designed to operate only with wireless LAN Mini PCI options sold by
> IBM."  Does anyone know if this is just marketing bs, or are choice of
> cards really limited?

It may be true in that they want you to buy a "Mini PCI Card" made
by them. (Where do you see Cisco?) If that's something other than
a PCMCIA card, then it's pretty unlikely to be even remotely
standard (much less remotely related to PCI in a physical sense),
nor are you likely to find another vendor.

It's false in that, if they put a PCMCIA or Cardbus slot on the
laptop, you can go ahead and use someone else's hardware. (Certain
operating systems may put futher restraints on you... but that
shouldn't be an issue here, should it?)

Which IBM (do you actually mean IBM as in Thinkpad, or were you
using the term generically?) laptop's marketing material discusses
this? Is it their not-yet-released pseudo-Centrino model? If so,
the Centrino mark forces this on them; Intel has a very specific
definition of what that means, and it includes built-in 802.11ab
using a certain chipset and layout (cards buried in the box,
apparently, are okay, but removable PCMCIA cards are not).

Could you cite the text you quoted, please?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net