Bradley Molnar on Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:18:05 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Laptop ethernet timeout

You might want to try not having network start at boot up.  Then once the
machine is up, run

ifup ethX

where X is either 0 or 1 (from what your description looks like).

Beyond that, /etc/power.local (or something like that, I believe the file is
named power.local and I think that Yellow Dog puts it in /etc) can be set to
shut off networking when the machine is put to sleep.

The package that this comes in is called pmud.  See www.penguinppc.org for
the link to the site (on the left column, towards the bottom).

-b

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of W. Chris Shank
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 4:07 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Laptop ethernet timeout

I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 PPC on my iBook (OS X just turned out to
be too much eye candy and not enough - just do it). So far I'm extremely
pleased with it. I still have OS X on it and was very impressed with MOL.
One bothersome area is the networking, particulrily the ethernet startup
timeout on the wired adapter. If I boot the unit without being on the lan
- it waits a very long time and then assigns some weird IP (don't recall
the exact one). Also - if I sleep it -and unplug from the network and then
unsleep from some toher location, it takes a while to figure out it's not
connected - and doesn't automatically route to eth1 is there is a wireless
lan.

Has anyone encountered this and have you overcome? Got any helpful scripts
that you run?

Thanks

Chris