Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:23:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux Laptops Big Hit!

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 03:02, Bhavin Vyas wrote:
> Another thing you might want to look into is a 'Letter of credit' where
> essentially their bank gurantees that you will get the money. But I am not
> too sure how it works and how safe it is, you will need to investigate.

Letters of Credit work quite well, and are the standard way that most
international business transactions used to be conducted.  Wire funds
seem to be getting more popular.  In essence, as Bhavin states, you are
getting a guarantee from the buyer's bank that it will pay you upon
receipt.  Both parties are protected as the seller has a guarantee from
a presumably trustworthy 3rd party that payment will be made, and the
buyer has the guarantee that the seller won't take the funds, and never
deliver the goods.

Your bank (if it is a full service business bank) can help set this up
with the foreign bank.

--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC