Edward Pike on Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:57:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] pop3 server?

congrats on making it work,
Like you i have to give away pop accounts too.
try my suggestion to separate the actual login
with pop account (if they really need
login) , for example you can
remap incoming mail from friend@yourdomain.com
to account fr1234 with no shell (/bin/nologin)
and tell him about fr1234.  The remapping of
mail you have to figure out though (mail
aliases or sendmail virtusertable/genericstable).

(disclaimer: i've given away 2 pop mails to my
friend but he hasnt fetched mail yet.  I setup
my wifes' pop account with /bin/nologin shell
before so i know
that worked once--not foolproof but at least
that account limits shell access somewhat)

e pike/jondz