Dan Roberts on Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:39:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] pop3 server?

i think what you ought to do really depends on your needs.  do you
want to be able to access your email remotely from elsewhere in
the world, where ssh'ing to your box wouldn't suffice?  is this
a service you want to provide for other people?  is security
a concern?  do you only want to be able to send mail?

well, ideally i'd like to run it to provide access to friends and the like, probably via eudora or some other client on their side. (they're located all over the place, not just on my internal network) i'm really the only one that gets anything technical, so a ssh login is definately not going to work for them. an encrypted transmission would be great for outside use...

i figured out that i have ipop3 installed and thanks to edward, I made the change in my xinetd settings and it now works. however, security is an issue nowadays and thoughts on that, again, much appreciated.

thanks all,
dan