gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:29:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] pop3 server?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:58:33PM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> to listen access to your services.  instead, assuming something like
> postfix won't work for you, you should install an ssl-encrypted version
> of whatever you choose.

You still need an SMTP server, though. Postfix integrates nicely
with Cyrus for SSL stuff, including IMAP/S.

> from what i understand pop3 is going the way of the dodo in favor
> of imap[1],
[...]
> [1] in fact this is completely baseless, someone please correct me :)

They offer different sets of features, and they've been around about
the same period of time, so I don't think that either is any more
likely to go away than SMTP.

POP3 makes more sense if you want to get all of your mail and store
it locally. IMAP makes more sense if you want to sort it into
mailboxes stored on the server. For most people setting up their own
server, IMAP probably makes more sense.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net