Gregson Helledy on Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:16:05 -0400

[PLUG] apt-get upgrade killed joystick, but config files the same?

PLUG list members may remember that I could never get my joystick to work
until I got some feedback from Vojtech Pavlic, the maintainer of the linux
joystick driver(s).  By adding in a line to my module config, everything
worked.

Members may also remember that I asked a couple of weeks ago about doing an
apt-get upgrade; it went with few hitches, and I think I learned something
by having to answer all of the questions I was asked.

One thing I haven't been able to resovle is that my joystick quit working.
"Oh-ho", I thought, "the modules.conf file got overwritten.  I know how to
fix that."  Well, it turned out to be not so simple.

*Note:  The joystick is an analog one and plugged into the gameport on my SB
PCI128 sound card

The relevant bit of dmesg is:
--------------
es1371: version v0.30 time 22:40:08 Jul 23 2002
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:08.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:07.3
es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x5880 revision 0x02
es1371: found es1371 rev 2 at io 0xdc00 irq 5
es1371: features: joystick 0x0
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
---------------

Fine, joystick is found, but it makes no mention of the address to be used
(0x200) as it used to before the upgrade.

So, let's look at the important part of modules.conf:
----------------------
alias libranet-sound-0 es1371
#added 1/28/03 to enable joystick support
options libranet-sound-0 joystick=0x200
----------------------

That's correct.  I checked the date of the modules.conf file and it had not
been updated during the upgrade process.  Maybe something is changed in
modules?

----------------------
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

sr_mod
ide-cd ignore="hdc"
ide-scsi
parport
lp
printer
smbfs
libranet-ethernet-0
apm

joydev
analog

#nfs
#nfsd
libranet-sound-0
---------------------

Nope.  The "libranet-sound-0" is in there.
Is the module somehow failing to be loaded?
Here is the output of lsmod:
---------------------
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
sg                     24036   0  (autoclean)
sd_mod                  9980   2  (autoclean)
usb-storage            49248   1
NVdriver              945472  10  (autoclean)
nls_cp1251              3616   2  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2848   3  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               4384   3  (autoclean)
analog                  7488   0  (unused)
joydev                  6784   0
apm                     9276   0
smbfs                  32160   2
printer                 5600   0
ide-cd                 26656   0
sr_mod                 13144   0
cdrom                  28960   0  [ide-cd sr_mod]
rtc                     5592   0  (autoclean)
es1371                 27072   1
soundcore               3588   4  [es1371]
ac97_codec              9696   0  [es1371]
gameport                1548   0  [analog es1371]
ide-scsi                7648   0
scsi_mod               50396   5  [sg sd_mod usb-storage sr_mod ide-scsi]
ne2k-pci                5056   1
8390                    6016   0  [ne2k-pci]
parport_pc             14756   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6080   0  (autoclean)
parport                23264   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
---------------------
I think that everything relevant, including es1371, gameport, joydev and
analog are there.

So the question is:  how can the system load the es1371 driver (through the
libranet-sound-0 alias), yet ignore the specific instruction to assign 0x200
for the joystick in modules.conf?  Using the KDE Control Center "IOPorts" I
can confirm that it is not assigned, as it was before the apt-get upgrade.

Anyone?  Anyone?

Greg Helledy

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise