W. Chris Shank on Thu, 1 May 2003 15:49:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with Lawsuit

The problem with that theory is that access frequency of data must be
pre-known. When you create a website that accesses a database (or
datastore), you must asssume that any information can be requested at any
time and as frequently as necessary.

I actually worked on a project where large amounts of data were stored on
tapes. Each tape was indexed into a database. So once it was known what
tape contained the data of interest, the robot would load the tape so the
file could be accessed. So the application had to be constructed in such a
way that allowed for literally minutes to retrieve the data - and with
client/server this was much easier. However, the index database was a
traditional database stored on a fast medium.

This really doesn't have anuthing to do with the subject at hand. The
weather is nice, it's a slow day, and it's fun to reminisce. Especially
since that project was a lot more interesting than my current one.