Bob Schwier on Sat, 3 May 2003 14:45:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with Lawsuit

There's a story here.  I wish I was still pretending to be a journalist.
How, precisely, does the city store data?
My wife who was born in this lovely city just discovered that Harrisburg's
website does not think she exists.
Perhaps the city is not forthcoming because it does not want to reveal the
extent of its incompetance.
I have personally gone through the hard copy originals of city records.  I
suspect that the updating of those records for on line search is flawed
becasue the city did not want to shell out for the data processors and
programmers.
This is consistent with my work in the school district.  Necessary
supplies do not exist while money for consultants does.
I submit that part of the problem is involved with the revenue crunch
because the actual population that can be pillaged for taxes has decreased
while the population that is either exempt by being rich enough to lobby
their councillmen or too poor and a cost to the city have increased.
The irony is that the city could have done  the job for less money just on
the services of people on this list in need of a decent job than it did on
the consultants it hired because they had the right connections.
bs