Edmund Goppelt on Thu, 8 May 2003 09:53:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:07:17AM -0400, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
> I think what I'll end up doing is throwing a few NICs into a 266 Mhz PII I
> have laying around and run a firewall on it. I'm leaning towards using one
> of those "firewall/router" linux on a floppy distros for this. Any advice
> on which one to use? Besides the firewall, it might make sense for me to
> run a DHCP server on it as well - is that a good idea or I am better off
> keeping things separate? I'm sure I can come up with another old PC to be
> a DHCP server if that is a better idea.

I used freesco happily for many years. IMO, it's exceptionally easy to
set up and use:

http://www.freesco.org/

> Since my iBook has a wireless card, I'd like to get a wireless access
> point. Can anyone recommend one? I'd like to have something with decent
> distance, since I have a pretty big back yard, however, I'd rather not
> spend lots of money. I'll probably get an x86 laptop sometime with a
> wireless card, but for now I just plan on using my iBook (with OS X and
> YellowDog) as far as wireless goes.

Since you need a WAP anyway, you may want to consider spending the
$100 and getting one of those combo applicances that does
firewall/NAT, WAP, dchp and pppoe.  I like the Linksys Wireless-G
Broadband router myself.

--

Ed Goppelt
http://www.hallwatch.org