William H. Magill on Sat, 10 May 2003 22:09:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 09:07 AM, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
Anyway, I just received an e-mail from Verizon saying they shipped me a
"Westell DMT ADSL Modem- Online." Does anyone have any experience with
this modem? I went to Westell's web site and they have a few different
models, but from the information Verizon gave me, I don't know what they
are sending me for sure. I noticed one model (the 2100) has a built in
firewall, but I'm not sure if A) that is the one I'm getting, or 2) how
good/configurable the firewall is. My guess is they'll send me one without
any added features, since they cost less.

Unless they have changed recently, when you get the Westel ADSL Modem, you get a real modem. I think they ship you the Motorola Modem when you get a "router."

Phone line on one side and an ethernet jack on the other.... no software involved.
It's a "pure" analog device. (Ok, AtoD Converter, but it's still only a modem.)

The "kit" also includes a bunch of "dongels" (bandpass filters) to put on your
telephones. Otherwise, they all get to hear the modem's whistle at each other.

I've had my DSL for a couple of years now, (DCAnet as ISP, with Bell Atlantic
as wire carrier, will tell you how long I've had it.) However friends who have gotten
similar installs in the past year have gotten the "dumb modem."

This is both good and bad. Good: no software to muck with. Bad: can't monitor the
modem via SNMP, it's dumb.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com