Edward M. Corrado on Thu, 8 May 2003 09:16:04 -0400

[PLUG] Verizon DSL

I know from recent discussions on this list, a few of the members have
Verizon DSL. I finally broke down and ordered it. At my house, it was the
only provider of "residential" DSL I could find. I was really hoping to
get Speakeasy, but oh well.....

Anyway, I just received an e-mail from Verizon saying they shipped me a
"Westell DMT ADSL Modem- Online." Does anyone have any experience with
this modem? I went to Westell's web site and they have a few different
models, but from the information Verizon gave me, I don't know what they
are sending me for sure. I noticed one model (the 2100) has a built in
firewall, but I'm not sure if A) that is the one I'm getting, or 2) how
good/configurable the firewall is. My guess is they'll send me one without
any added features, since they cost less.

I think what I'll end up doing is throwing a few NICs into a 266 Mhz PII I
have laying around and run a firewall on it. I'm leaning towards using one
of those "firewall/router" linux on a floppy distros for this. Any advice
on which one to use? Besides the firewall, it might make sense for me to
run a DHCP server on it as well - is that a good idea or I am better off
keeping things separate? I'm sure I can come up with another old PC to be
a DHCP server if that is a better idea.

Since my iBook has a wireless card, I'd like to get a wireless access
point. Can anyone recommend one? I'd like to have something with decent
distance, since I have a pretty big back yard, however, I'd rather not
spend lots of money. I'll probably get an x86 laptop sometime with a
wireless card, but for now I just plan on using my iBook (with OS X and
YellowDog) as far as wireless goes.

Ed C.