Bradley Molnar on Thu, 8 May 2003 09:33:05 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

My parents have Verizon DSL and that Westell modem thing.  It gets the job
done, usually.  I actually think that the modem itself is a fairly reliable
piece of equipment, it is the software that they ship that is the main
problem (and the cause of all of my parents' troubles with it).  But, it
sounds like you aren't going to be using their software so you should be in
luck (the connection works generally well with the built in WinXP software
and whatever is controlling the old Lucent RG-1000).  Don't count on the
Verizon thing having and built in firewall.  They usually send a very basic
unit (cheaper that way).

As for gateways, a friend of mine loves his Linksys.  I don't know the model
off the top of my head, but, I can find out.  I know that Linksys has a 4 or
5 port hub that is also a cable/dsl router and might also have one with a
wireless option.  Beyond that, I have had very good luck with the
Lucent/Agere/Proxim RG-1000 (don't know if they are even still being
produced).

As for the firewall, listen to Chris H.

-b