Pete Foley on Thu, 8 May 2003 13:08:12 -0400

[PLUG] IDE Controller Cards and 2.2.x kernels Question

Hi all,

I have a box at home that I use as an everything server.  However, my HD
performance is horrible.  Even using hdparm, I get about 3mb/s data
transfer.  Ugh.

Now this box has some old parts, and the MB is a socket 7 board of some
type.  I am figuring the IDE bus on it is crap, so I am looking to get
an IDE controller card to help speed things up.

I have been looking for info as to what cards work in linux, but have
not found any real helpful info.  I am hoping someone here has used one
with success.  I am looking at the SIIG ATA/100 or SIIG ATA/133 cards,
or a Maxtor one of the same specs.

I would like it to work with a 2.2.23 kernel (patches OK) only because I
am lazy and don't feel like going to 2.4 and re-writing my ipchains
firewall.  But if these only work in 2.4 I will break down and upgrade.

So any info would be great.  Even pointers to websites work also.

Thanks,
-Pete