Pete Foley on Thu, 8 May 2003 13:58:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] IDE Controller Cards and 2.2.x kernels Question

Well, I don't think that it is a bad HD.  I have 3 drives in there, one
is and old 3 gig, while the other two are 40 gig ata 100 (I think)
drives.  I have the 2 40 gigs on IDE2 and the 3 gig (basically the
system disk) on IDE1.  I basically get the same numbers from all drives
when timing them with hdparm, usually about 2.59mb/s.

As an after-thought, I looked up the SIIG ata100 card and found out that
it uses the CMD 0649 chipset, which can be supported in 2.2.20 with the
ide patch.  I used to run 2.2.18 on the box and only upped to 2.2.23 to
see if that would fix my performance problems (which it didn't), so
dropping back to 2.2.20 to use the ide patch is no big deal.

Has anyone used the SIIG cards or the CDM 649 chipset?  Is that good to
go with or should I use something better (or cheaper, or whatever).

Thanks,
-Pete