Eugene Smiley on Tue, 13 May 2003 09:30:50 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Cavalier DSL

Pete wrote:
> I am looking at the 768/768 package.  Overall (dsl+local+ld
> service) it will save me 35$ a month and it looks like pretty
> fast service.  I was wondering if anyone has used their DSL.  I
> looked on DSL reports, and there was only one report from the
> philly area, and it was good.

I live in South Philly, about 6-7 blocks from the CO and have had Cavalier DSL since  January. I have had no issues, except the install which should have been a whole week earlier, if the Verizon tech had bothered to read the note on the order that told him when I was going to be out of town and to call my cell phone to gain entry.

The Cavalier tech was in the house for less than 5 minutes to "install" the DSL modem. I say that because he handed me the DSL modem, which I plugged in while he called into tech support to get the line provisioned. 5 minutes compared to 5 days when I used Earthlink via Verizon before. Nice.

> Now I think I have become spoiled by Speakeasy, but they are
> really expensive.  Cavalier offers the same stuff, static IP,
> multiple email addresses, etc.  The only thing missing is a free
> dial-up for when one is on the road.

I also have this issue as my wife uses dial-up to pull her email while at work. I opted for one of the cheap $10/month dial-up services. I still come out $30 ahead of what I was  paying before.

The only thing that I have had trouble with are news servers. They are a bit flaky at times. They deny your connection and then a minute later (or less) try again and they accept it.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the service.