Jon Nelson on Tue, 13 May 2003 11:13:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] solution: how to keep iptables from spamming the console

Chris Fearnley said:

> LOG_LEVEL=7
>
> iptables -t filter -A tcprules -i eth0 -s 10.0.0.0/8 \
>          -j LOG --log-level ${LOG_LEVEL}

Tried this and it stoped logging packets all together.  Needed to put:

kern.*    /var/log/packetfilter

in /etc/syslod.conf to get it to log.  Even with this it still logs to the
console (ie, appends to output of 'dmesg').

Using my newfound skills with 'diff' I checked that /etc/syslog.conf,
/etc/init.d/syslog, /etc/sysconfig/syslog and my firewall scripts were the
same on both machines.

> If you search in the script for --log-level, you may discover the name
> of the variable that can be configured to turn logging off the console.
> 7 (debug) should keep messages in the logs, but off the console.

There was no mention of "--log-level" in my script(s).

Any other ideas?

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin.
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation