Kevin Brosius on Wed, 14 May 2003 13:32:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cavalier DSL

Pete Foley wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:23:35PM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > I hear good things about the Cavalier DSL.  I work with someone who
> > likes it (and it's not Comcast, as he says :) )
>
> I assume that it 'Not being Comcast' is a good thing?  Not like it
> really matters, I dislike Comcast as much as I dislike Version.
>
> > One thing to note is that Cavalier is not using standard ADSL, so speeds
> > are different than you might expect from an ADSL 784/784 circuit.  From
> > the reading I've done, their DSL is a combined bandwidth product,
> > meaning up and down bandwidth is shared.  I'm not clear on the actual
> > transfer rate, but it sounds like you can use either 784 down or 784 up
> > at any given time, for standard usage you'll get some lesser speed in
> > one direction.  (Which is just fine for most home use.  For example,
> > standard 684/128 ADSL is great for downloading, web browsing, mail,
> > etc...)
>
> When I called the Cavalier techs the other day to get the skinny on
> their DSL, I remember him muttering something about this.  Something
> about you need their modem because it is a special DSL variant ,
> half-duplex or something, I forget.  I should probably check on the
> details on that.
>
> If the speed toggles between the up and down that is fine with me.  I
> really need the boost in uplink speed (for web servers and stuff) and I
> could live with a decrease in the downlink.

Yes, I think it's RADSL or some other new acronym.  They aren't
providing SDSL.  My understanding is that you'll get 784 kpbs of
throughput, but it would be shared.  So you could see 684 down and 100
up (ignoring overhead.)  And I believe it's dynamic, so you couold see
~400 both ways.  What I'm not sure of is the actual max line speed.  You
may find it's 800 or 900 kbps (including overhead) and you'll get 800
down with 50 up.  (Assuming everything works out great :) )

--
Kevin Brosius