Edward M. Corrado on Fri, 16 May 2003 22:47:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CS or MIS??

Just my 2 cents.....

It depends more what the classes in the degree program are and how
in-depth they go then the letters in the degree. Some MIS programs do get
pretty technical, while other, at least IMHO, have very little technical
stuff at all (at least for a degree that involves Information
Systems). So, I'd say evaluate each program on what classes/experience
offers rather then what letters.

That said, in a swooping generality:

A MIS degree has a greater management focus - basically it is a
combination management and technology degree (with many programs more
management then technology). In theory, you'll get a much better
understanding of the management side of things, and I would suspect a
better introduction to computer applications (and supporting them) from
the business side of things, where with a CS you'll get a much better
understanding of the core and underlying languages/building blocks of
computers and probably very little, by comparison, of the business end.

As I said, that is a huge generality as different programs, and different
tracks within programs, can vary greatly even if the have the same name.

Which one is better? Well that depends on who you ask, and what you want
to do with it. I'd probably argue that something in the middle would be
the best, unless you want to focus your career on either end of the scale.

Personally, if I where higher someone, I wouldn't really care which degree
that had of the two (in fact, while I generally would value a college
education, I'm not sure I'd care weather it was in MIS, CS, or in
accounting[1]), I'd be more interested in the persons track record.
However, I suspect that if you want to get into mangement vs. hands on
coding and such, the MIS might look better, esp. if you do not have any
management experience. Likewise, if you want to create your own O/S, the
CS degree would probably better prepare you for that.

Ed C. (who has a B.A. Mathematics, Masters of Library Service and is a
happily employed SysAdmin.)

[1] I used accounting as an example, because the most talented main frame
administrator I've ever worked with has a degree in accounting and not in
a "technology" field. Of course, I'm partial to people with degrees in
Mathematics and Library Service - see above :-).