Paul on Sat, 17 May 2003 18:58:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CS or MIS??

Marc Zucchelli wrote:

After reading all those emails on graduate CS courses,
I had to ask my question. I have been going to
community college for computer info system, and it has
always been my plan (ever since taking AP comp sci in
high school) to pursue a CS degree. At work, I've
been doing alot of MIS style development, and I had an
MIS class which really sparked my interest. I was
wondering if someone could go over the differences in
the two degrees for me, I need to pick one soon! Also, a couple of people that I know taking CS at
drexel are telling me things like "dont take MIS, it's
a joke degree for people who can't handle the CS! and
most companies that do MIS work look for people with
CS degrees." Is there any truth behind that at all? Isn't it like comparing apples and oranges?

I can give you some advice about community college. Do not pursue an "Associate of Applied Science" degree because a good number of credits will not transfer to a four-year school, or they will be taken as elective credits. Go for an "Associate of Science" program. You might be able to transfer a full two year's worth of credit in the second case. Really, the sooner you can get into a four-year school the better.

Do the math. Are you good at doing [the] Calculus? I hope so! (Math was always an obstacle for me.)

From my own research and feedback I have concluded that a science degree is more highly regarded than an arts degree. Computer Science being the most recognized compared to MIS, IS, or whatever. Don't know about Computer Engineering. The other programs may actually be better, BUT, the people who hire people ask for the BS-CS. Go to a place like http://www.lmco.com and do a job search. Let us know what they're looking for. You know what my bet is on.

Then again, what is your long term goal? Developer, system administrator, manager, professional hobbyist?