Paul on Sat, 17 May 2003 18:58:46 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Question about dual booting install.

Are you working with a WIn2k restore disc or a regular install disc?

As pointed out before, Win2k usually pops up a dialog for repartitioning the drive before install. If not, try using fdisk, either the Linux version or the M$-DOS version, to create a FAT32 partition. Just leave a bunch of blank space for Linux.

Unless you have a good reason for using NTFS, stick with FAT32.

I ususally just boot with a Win98 disc, run fdisk, reboot, do a "format c: /u", maybe reboot again, then do the OS install. After Win2k is installed, just install Linux and it will automatically create ext3 partitions in the remaining free space and configure itself to dual boot.

Donald Shierk wrote:

Hi all.

I am trying to do a dual install with Win 2000 Pro, and RedHat 8. Would anyone
mind giving me any pointers or tips regarding the process to do this? When I
try installing Windows first, it seems there is no option to partition the
hard drive for the later Linux install. A friend of mine suggested that I might
use the RedHat disks first to partition, then reboot, install windows, then
to get the Linux partitions to "take" in this manner, no matter how late I
terminate the initial install.

Thanks very much for any help.

Don