gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 18 May 2003 14:23:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RFC

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 01:16:35PM -0400, Alexander John Batyi wrote:
> Initially a Request for comments was sent out and
> discussed after which it was refered to by the
> term "Requirement for Conformance".

::sigh::

From the ogg RFC (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3534.txt) in question:

  Status of this Memo

     This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
     Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
     improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
     Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state
     and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

It's a standards TRACK (read like tenure track, as in not yet a
standard) protocol, and the document requests discussion and
suggestions.

It's NOT a standard. The text gets changed when the IETF approves
the thing. I don't even think the IETF has had a meeting any time in
May 2003, so it wouldn't be POSSIBLE for it to be approved.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net