gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 18 May 2003 14:32:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] City Lawyer: We Don't Store Data on Hard Disk

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 01:02:56PM -0400, Edmund Goppelt wrote:
> If the City isn't lying, then why won't they say what is preventing
> them from copying their database records to CD?

That's not a question I can help you with.

> Government operates under no such constraints.  IMO, litigation is
> often the only way to ensure that government addresses its own
> inefficiency and unfairness.

... and in the mean time the public still doesn't have what you
think they should have. But you could go web scrape it. And they
would. Then you could point out how ridiculous it was that you had
to jump through that hoop to get something the City was supposed to
provide in one place.

(Or would going through those hoops actually help the City's case?
"He got it just fine, your Honor, what's the problem?" Who knows.)

> > What's more, how does Linux-use prove competence at *anything*? I
> > drive a VW Jetta. Does that make me qualified to work on its air
> > conditioning system, let alone rebuild its engine?
> The point I was responding to was Barry's assertion that City computer
> folk are incompetent.  IMO, it's unfair and wrong to assume that the
> City IT people are idiots.  They're not.  At least not in my
> experience.

And you missed MY point. They're plenty competent to use their
system (analogy: driving my car). They could well be totally
incompetent to restructure it to produce different output (analogy:
either change my car's oil or rebuild a VW 2.0L 4-cylinder engine
with a 5-speed manual transmission; we don't know the level of
difficulty of making this change in their system).

> Gabriel, I think I've got a good idea of where your sympathies lie at
> this point. I don't think I'm ever going to persuade you, nor you me.
> Let's agree to disagree.

Ed, my sympathies lie with you. I agree. I just think that you're
putting yourself through a lot of unnecessary pain. But, like I
said, if you really want to sue the city for the next five years to
get a CD-R including the extra two fields, that's your business.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net