Alexander John Batyi on Sun, 18 May 2003 18:08:04 -0400

[PLUG] RFC

>> Initially a Request for comments was sent out and
>> discussed after which it was refered to by the
>> term "Requirement for Conformance".
>
>::sigh::

My mistake.  I thought he asked a more general question like:
What does RFC stand for?  not What does RFC mean at the
stage RFC3534 is presently in.  I deleted the email so I can't

>From the ogg RFC (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3534.txt) in question:
>
>  Status of this Memo
>
>     This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
>     Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
>     improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
>     Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state
>     and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Still it states the Status of "this" memo, not the meaning of RFC.

>It's NOT a standard. The text gets changed when the IETF approves
>the thing. I don't even think the IETF has had a meeting any time in
>May 2003, so it wouldn't be POSSIBLE for it to be approved.

Refering to RFC3534 not RFC in general correct?

Didn't mean to make you sigh but just trying to answer what I thought
was the actual statement ending with a question mark.  My mistake if
the actual question was what is RFC3534.

Have a nice day!  :-)