John Lavin on Sun, 18 May 2003 17:33:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] using mencoder for Archos Jukebox

gabriel rosenkoetter said:
> Aha. And have you experimented with various settings? I bet that's
> part of Archos's "standard".
Yeah - I've tried various settings - one thing that kills me is that if
I turn down the bit rate to a lower setting in hopes that its just too
much, the frames per second goes up past 30 and I _know_ that's too
high...  If there's a way to keep the fps down and reduce the bitrate,
I'd love to hear it.

> Have you been able to produce video that'll play on the thing under
> windows? Can you play that with mplayer and find out exactly what
> format it's in?
I can't say - I haven't had a windows partition in years...

They do ship some canned videos on the device and here are a few
snippets from mplayer's output:

VIDEO:  [DX50]  352x160  24bpp  25.00 fps  1132.9 kbps (138.3 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

I don't see any other relevant info in the output.

> How much you want to bet that's what Archos means by standard?
Before I tried encoding in that format, I would have bet a lot!!  Unless
some other setting is wrong - like the vbitrate - that wasn't it.

-john
--
John Lavin <jlavin@wayreth.net> http://www.wayreth.net                  ,''`.
Fingerprint: B0AA 4A33 D43F BA67 E524  22F3 DA3B F8C8 2BA4 8C46        : :' :