Marc Zucchelli on Sun, 18 May 2003 20:51:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CS or MIS??

My experience and my interests.  I love physics and
calculas, loved AP comp sci, I love solving problems
in innovative ways with software, tought myself to
program during high school.  When I got out of high
school, I got really lucky by meeting some people and
I got work as a sysadmin/programmer for a new company.
 Eventually I got really bored writing code day after
day, now I'm not sure if thats because I'm just not
meant to be a "grunt" programmer, or if it's because I
was working in a new and unorganized company.  But I
kinda came to the conclusion that I want to ultimatly
be the guy who designs the systems, and then gets
other guys to code it exactly how I say.  Not to
mention the stuff they have me write is
multi-user/database oriented almost 100% of the time.

The way I described what I'm interested in, would that
be considered an MIS type job, or maybe a senior
programmer CS type guy?

Also the fact that someone mentioned MIS as a an arts
degree rather than a science degree kinda scares me...

Anyway, thanks alot for all the input!  I guess my
next step at this point is to check out some sylabii.

Marc