Jesse Huestis on Wed, 21 May 2003 10:16:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] can't connect to SAMBA server

I disable the firewall.  The error is server is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Netwrok path not found.

If I try and map to it via Ip address and share name, I get net work resource not found.

Additionally, I can not connect via Webmin or Putty.  I am going to investigate some basic connectivity.

Jesse

Jon Nelson wrote:
Jesse Huestis said:

Hi:

I recently brought up a firewall , router and change my Samba servers IP
 address (It was the firewall and server).  Now I can not connect to my
Samba server from any of the Windows computers.  It does show up on my
browse list.  Any ideas?

What kind of errors are you getting when you try to connect?

You could turn off your connection to the outside world and drop your
firewall and see if you could connect.  Or run 'tail -f /var/log/messages'
and watch the messages that appear when you try to connect.  If your
firewall is blocking the packets you should see them.

You might also want to check out the logs in '/var/log/samba/'.

One other thing I have found is when i have trouble connecting with
permission denied errors is '/etc/init.d/smb restart' which restarts smbd
and nmbd on my machine.  nmbd is really what needs to be restarted to
repopulate the WINS database.  I usually have to do this if I have to
reboot a one of the Windows machines.
--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin.
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation