Stephen Gran on Wed, 21 May 2003 20:38:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] es1371 module and joystick

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:31:38PM -0400, Gregson Helledy said:
> Anyone know how the system knows to load the es1371 module
> if it's not mentioned in /etc/modules?  Is there some other
> file out there?
>
> Is there some option for autodetecting hardware on boot that
> I can turn off?  This is not mentioned anywhere that I can
> find.
>
> Libranet 2.0 apt-get upgraded to Debian 3.0r1, kernel 2.4.18
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Helledy

Look under /etc/modutils - there's a bunch of files there that let the
kernel know what module to load for what request, loosely (and very
roughly) speaking.  If a program attempts to access sound-slot-0, and
you have a line in one of the files there that aliases aound-slot-0 to
es1371, then it will be loaded.  If you edit anything there, remember to
run update-modules afterwards - Debian takes this approach to create one
monster config file out of a bunch of smaller ones, which I find to be
occasionally needless, but there it is.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Too much of a good thing is WONDERFUL.  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | -- Mae West                             |