zeek on Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:28:09 -0400

[PLUG] RH9 (mod_perl) woes

I've been doing some extensive testing of RH9 and have found nearly all areas
(relevant to me at least) to be greatly improved. However, at the same time I
decided to plunge into the world of mod_perl and immediately discovered some
problems.  I've seen some mention of this issue on the mod_perl list but a
definitive solution is missing. Any comments here would be greatly appreciated.
Here's the scenario:

httpd.conf:

LoadModule perl_module modules/libperl.so
PerlModule Apache2

<Perl>
 use lib '/var/www/cgi-bin/MovableType/lib';
 use lib '/var/www/cgi-bin/MovableType/extlib';
</Perl>

results in

Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 44 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf:
<Perl> directive missing closing '>'

In the mod_perl archives, there was mention of using a whitespace with the
initial Perl directive <Perl > (<Perl[space]>)
but this only results in another error (which I didn't want to pursue since this
was already a funky workaround).

Another solution involves using:

PerlSetEnv PERL5LIB /var/www/cgi-bin/MovableType/lib

but this results in:

Starting httpd: [Sun Jun 01 10:33:56 2003] [error] Can't locate MT/App/CMS.pm in
@INC (@INC contains: [...] [error] Can't load Perl module MT::App::CMS for
server dddc.com:80, exiting...!

which is typically the result of incorrect permissions on the path or file --but
all of this checks out fine.

At this point I've left the issue to rest and am not using mod_perl until I can
find a coherent solution. One suggestion which was offered on a msg board was to
use Apache 1.3.x but I'd like to maintain as vanilla an install as possible.
Again, any suggestions as to how to work with this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-zeek