Art Clemons on Sun, 8 Jun 2003 06:33:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AOL in Linux

AOL:
>Does anyone know if there's any program that can allow me to connect >AOL BroadBand (DSL) from Linux. I hate to give up the features in AOL >BroadBand just to get a new ISP that allows me to get online in Linux >RH 7.3. I found something relating to it from google.com/linux but >after the choice of commands: "# ./recompile or # ./Install" in step >2 of the tutorial the commands became useless. Here's the link: >www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html
>any feedback would be greatful.

You found the page for PENG, which only connects via dialup (it does work btw if you can get it going). IF you truly have AOL broadband, you have a problem, since it uses AOL's proprietary method of PPOE. You would have to disassemble just what goes on during said connection, then offer it to the server. One problem for you is that all too many Linux users despise AOL, so there will probably never be a groundswell for AOL support and AOL doesn't seem likely to offer Linux clients in the near future. You could also take an old beater Pentium setup as a ICS server with any flavor of windows that allows ICS or alternatively be sneaky and ask AOL how to use a hardware firewall router with its services. In this area, you're likely to have AOL over Verizon and it might just be a straight verizon connection in the real world that routes to AOL instead of GTE. If that is true, regular RPPOE might work assuming you know what needs to be sent. That in fact might the first thing you try over your connection.