Paul on Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:26:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Hardware question

Beldon Dominello wrote:

I have a chance to buy a pretty solid dual PII 1GHz workstation that I intend to use for sound production and editing under Linux. Is there any advantage to using a dual 1GHz machine of this vintage over, say, a 2GHz P4 or Athlon machine for my intended purpose. The price for the Dual machine is comparable to a modern 2GHz machine similarly equipped, so performance characteristics are really the only consideration here.

Doesn't a dual CPU system require twice the amount of RAM?

The single 2GHz system would have better hardware features such as AGP 4 or 8x, higher memory speed and capacity, USB 2.0, the ability to go beyond 2GHz, etc..

Now, if you could get a dual 2GHz system, that would kick butt! How about a dual AMD 64-bit Opteron setup?!