Forge on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:55:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Hardware question

Doesn't a dual CPU system require twice the amount of RAM?

No, not at all.

The single 2GHz system would have better hardware features such as AGP 4 or 8x, higher memory speed and capacity, USB 2.0, the ability to go beyond 2GHz, etc..

AGP 4X/8X = does nothing. His dual P3 would most likely have AGP4X, and especially in Linux, AGP8X is more of a PITA than anything else, at the moment.

Greater memory speeds and higher max memory would probably help more than anything else, for sound editing, that's true, but USB2 again falls into the 'does nothing' category, as USB2 peripherals are very few and far between, and USB devices have typically lagged a bit on Linux support. USB2 isn't exactly useless, but it's not really anything I see anyone making hardware picks around, either, especially when USB2 PCI cards can be had for ~20$.

Now, if you could get a dual 2GHz system, that would kick butt! How about a dual AMD 64-bit Opteron setup?!

Yes, and it'd certainly cost more than the dual 1GHz he's looking at.

Kinda defeats the purpose.

Sorry to jump all over what you said, but I'm a big time hardware guru, and I just couldn't let it slide.

Rich 'Forge' Mingin www.tech-report.com