Geoff Rivell on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 06:32:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Hardware question

On Monday 09 June 2003 05:54 am, Forge wrote:

> Greater memory speeds and higher max memory would probably help more
> than anything else, for sound editing, that's true, but USB2 again falls
> into the 'does nothing' category, as USB2 peripherals are very few and
> far between, and USB devices have typically lagged a bit on Linux
> support. USB2 isn't exactly useless, but it's not really anything I see
> anyone making hardware picks around, either, especially when USB2 PCI
> cards can be had for ~20$.

USB2 is supported on the development kernel.  I've had no trouble with USB
devices on Linux, but I only have a mouse / digital camera / Archos Jukebox.
Nothing like a printer / scanner.  Higher hard drive speed helps a lot too.
Having a 4200 RPM hd isn't as nice as it sounds ;-)  Wish I spent the extra
money for the 5400.

Since I didn't read the message you replied to and have no idea how far deep
this thread has gone, I haven't a clue what this system was being built to do
even.