gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:38:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: plug digest, Vol 1 #660 - 10 msgs

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:24:25PM -0400, Jeff 'Jephree' Mealo wrote:
> Subject: [PLUG] Re: plug digest, Vol 1 #660 - 10 msgs

Again, Jeff, please either alter the subject line when responding to
a digest or included (properly cited, of course) quoted material so
the rest of us can follow the thread of conversation. Preferably,
both.

>                                                     If we were to build a
> wireless network you could join for free granted A) you were able to and B)
> you could get the equipment C) configure it yourself and got enough people to
> join the ISPs would want to dominate the internet service for the large group
> of people and it won't become a competition on their side rather than ours...

I don't quite follow the "competition" argument...

> I just don't know how you would start... I'm oblivious so forgive me, is
> there a way to pipe out 900/2.4/5ghz over a public radio antenna if you rent
> the space?

What's to rent? Broadcasting in the 2.4 and 5 Ghz ranges is
specifically fair game for anyone and everyone.

There are limits on power output, but that has less to do with
spectrum saturation than it does with the damage high-powered radio
waves can do to people/the environment.

> Or is this dangerous/against FCC regulations?

It's very much in keeping with FCC regulations.

> Can't we avoid paying licensing fees because they are public bands?...

What would make you imagine that you'd have to pay a licensing fee
to use a public band at all?

> and if we were to provide free access as a public service perhaps
> sponsors and or the owners of the antenna or backing company would
> offer free/reduced costs.

Huh? The owners of what antenna?

Maybe I'm missing to what precisely you're replying here...

> Just an idea...

Not an especially new one (nothing personal). Rittenhouse Square has
exactly such a network, as does midtown Manhattan, as does most of
metropolitan London. Chris H. and I'd like to do it in Delaware
county.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net