William H. Magill on Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:12:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Wireless LAN Coverage in The Suburbs

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 03:27 PM, Chris Magnus Hedemark wrote:
I live rather close to a radio tower (okay, maybe not, I
never go down that road, it could *look* deceivingly close). What kind
of range would we be roughly looking at per repeater and how heavily
does the mount point affect this.

I've heard of links as far as 72 miles with 802.11b.

More realistically, with a good LOS, I'd be thrilled with 15 miles. And would try to keep the critical ones under 10.

Keep in mind that you are talking about two different things here.

72 miles is point-to-point only. Omni-directional is limited to about 600 feet.

These distances are defined by the FCC's requirements for non-licensed use. (Which are actually in micro-volts per meter at a given distance.)

And don't forget. When you are working in the un-licensed bands, YOU must be willing to shutdown if somebody else is interfering with you. You cannot and must not expect them to stop what they are doing so that they do not interfere with you - "First-come, First-served, does NOT apply. And this applies even if someone is intentionally jamming you! aka a DOS attack.

This is all part of the FCC Regs for un-licensed use... nominally, Part 15.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com