gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:08:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Wireless network - Swarthmore

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:41:02PM -0400, Chris Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> Looking from on top of the building, to the right of the bell tower,

That's Clothier, though most students these days will call it
Tarble. It's about 20 feet lower in elevation at the base than
Parrish, but the bell tower's probably the highest point on campus.
You don't want to put an AP in the bell tower, though; there's no
power up there (besides the dedicated three-phase for the bell's
solenoids), and the pidgeons are *vicious*.

> I could see a water tower

Perpective was fooling you. That's way at the western side of
campus, behind the science buildings, back into the Crum a bit. I
don't know whether or not the college owns this, but again you'll
have power (not to mention accessibility) problems.

> and then some other tall structure next to it
> with a flag flying from the top of it.

That's Parrish. If you can see the dome and maybe some windows, you
can see habitable, powered, easy-access (with permission, of course)
space. And a site there could (again, with permission) tie into
Swarthmore College's internal network.

> I *think* I can see your roof, but I'm not sure if it was yours or not.
>  I took lots of pics of that general area with the intention of showing
> you and seeing if one of those was yours.

I'll have to look at the photos. But my roof communicates with
those closer to the corner, and I know the owners of the buildings
as far west as Renato Pizza.

> we're doing but doesn't care.  He did point out that he gets a lot of
> money for the cell phone antennas up there but didn't expect anything
> from me.

I'm pretty shocked by that. Pleasantly, of course.

> I don't really know anyone there or have any sort of connections to the
> place.  I think if anyone lives there that wants to be on the mesh, it
> would be useful to have a node on the roof, but otherwise I wouldn't go
> to any trouble for that building.

Swarthmore College *owns* the top floor of that building...

> That may be the tall building I saw to the right of the bell tower and
> back a ways, from the POV of the roof of the Greylock.

Definitely is.

> That would make it really hard to hit the train station directly from
> any of the buildings I have access to.  Your roof would be a better bet
> for most of the "downtown" area, including the train station. I would
> bet an omni on your roof could hit the train station.

Probably... unless Micheal's got in the way. (I can get to the train
track cover, but maybe not the building itself.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net