Art Clemons on Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:52:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tiresome question: does StarOffice have a back button yet ?

George Langford:
I just received Mandrake 9.1; is it time yet for me to dump W98SE and its equally inadequate WinXP for a Linux install ? I've got to be
able to have the functionality of MSWord. So far, it would appear
that Netscape works OK under Linux; and the Gump (Gimp ?) works OK
for image editing. That leaves the navigation within StarOffice as
the last remaining stumbling block to my use of the Linux platform.

I read the byplay on the link you suggested. It is possible to create hyperlinks within OpenOffice and also to make use of what is called the hyperlink Bar. It doesn't use hyperlinks the same way that Microsoft's Office products do, but then again neither does Corel's WordPerfect. If you wonder why I'm mentioning OpenOffice instead of StarOffice, it's because I no longer use StarOffice but rather the open source version, OpenOffice.

There are compatibility differences between Microsoft products and the OpenOffice/StarOffice suites especially with embedded images and text placement (If you want your documents to always look as you created them, export to PDF as a workaround) but I have yet to see a doc that I can't open and I do have access to OfficeXP and Office2000. So the real question becomes whether or not a user is willing to learn the differences and compensate for them.