Kyle R. Burton on Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:02:09 -0400

[PLUG] C++ Development

Having done development in Perl and Java, I've come to depend on a few
different tools and frameworks when doing development.

Jakarta's Log4j, and CPAN's Log::Log4perl are great tools to use in
your software for having it communicate to the outside world.  The
ability to turn up or down the log level for the entire system, a
few packages or a specific class cuts down on the effort required to
inspect a running production system.  The ability to controll all
of this through a configuration file means you can makde adjustments
to a system to probe it in a production setting.

For unit testing, I've come to rely on the xUnit frameworks Junit for Java,
and Test::Unit for Perl.   We've started using CppUnit for the C++ code
as well.

I'm looking to the group for the development tools, libraries and
frameworks that you've found useful or, better yet, indespensible
in your projects.  I'm looking for your advice/feedback as regards
to C and C++ development, as well as in general.

Thanks,

Kyle