rolando de aguiar on Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:23:06 -0400

[PLUG] [plug-announce] Reminder: Alpha Labs Wifi/802.11b antenna workshop (with a little more explanation)

Hi everybody-

I wanted to remind everyone about Alpha Laboratories' WiFi/802.11b antenna
workshop, to be held tomorrow afternoon at Calvary Church (48th and Baltimore).

I've gotten a few questions from people wondering, "What the [heck] is 'Wifi'?"
WiFi (rhymes with hi-fi) is a (relatively) new specification for wireless
networking, which allows you to build a computer network without wires. So
let's imagine you're in a 100 year old house and you'd like to have DSL access
in your dining room, but you don't want to spend thousands of dollars tearing
apart walls to put wires in them: WiFi (technically: "802-dot-11b"; generally:
"wireless" ) is the answer.

This is cool for a few reasons:
1) It's inexpensive and cleaner than tearing up your walls
2) There will be crazy 2.4GHz waves shooting all over the place instead of
wires all over the place
3) You can share internet bandwidth with your neighbors, depriving nasty
companies like Verizon and Comcast of revenue (bwahaha)

So our workshop will show you how to build a neat (CHEAP!) high gain
directional antenna out of a can. You bring the can. A smallish coffee can is
preferable even though the math says a big coffee can should work best.
Contrary to popular belief, Pringles cans are no good!

Anyway, coffee will be served. Maybe other beverages too. It will be fun.
Details below! We'll see you tomorrow.

-Rolando.
Alpha Laboratories.

---

Alpha Laboratory is a project to open a public internet lab and
technology education center in a community resource center that is
being built at 4134 Lancaster Avenue. We're having a fundraiser,
and it's also a good opportunity to come and find out more about
the project!

---

/***************** Wifi Antenna Workshop ********************
* Saturday, June 14th 3-6PM
* Calvary Church Basement, 48th & Baltimore
* Side Door Off 48th st.
* $10-20, sliding scale, Bring Your Own Can (BYOC)
* To benefit Alpha Labs
*
* build a wifi antenna
* pigtail cables available for about $10
* test it with our hoopty network analyzer
* antenna shootout - best antenna wins a fabulous prize
* questions? answers? alpha@phillyimc.org