Paul on Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:35:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Reminder: Alpha Labs Wifi/802.11b antenna workshop (with a little more explanation)

rolando de aguiar wrote:

Anyway, coffee will be served. Maybe other beverages too. It will be fun.

A good can to use is a 26.5 ounce Bush's Baked Beans or Hunts Pasta Sauce can. It's 3.25" in diameter and 5.62" long. http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/antennas/hunts.html

My design uses two Bush's cans end to end held together with aluminum splints. More aluminum was used to create a mounting bracket with a slot for adjusting elevation. A planned modification is a movable back to adjust the 1/4 wavelength distance from the back to the probe.

Impedence matching is a thought, but I don't have a clue about it yet.

Originally, I was going to use a BNC connector, but I decided to go with a big N connector which seems to be a standard for antennas. The cable is about 11 feet of LMR-195 cable terminated by a reverse SMA connector at the PC end. (I really wanted LMR-400, but I compromised.)

I would almost recommend modifying any equipment using non-standard connectors. For example, changing reverse a SMA or TNC connectors to a regular SMA, TNC, or other preferred microwave frequency connector.

Cantennas are fun, relatively easy to build, and very effective.