Jeffrey J. Nonken on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:43:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cross-platform hardware problem

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:26:04 -0400, Paul wrote:
>Mental Patient wrote:
>
>>I find that a low level format fixes that. But I know what you're
>>describing, DOS fdisk and format seem to somehow preserve the
>>(broken)
>>registry settings.
>>

>That's not possible.  A good fdisk, maybe "fdisk /mbr", and an
>unconditional format (format c: /u) will kill most things.  Low
>level
>formatting will void your warranty, if you have one still.  (Some
>new
>drives only come with a one year warranty because the manufacturer
>knows
>they're not as reliable as those old fasioned drives.)

It's possible, just not advisable. IDEs come preformatted and tested
with bad sectors remapped. That's the real reason they're
"error-free". If you low-level format, you basically wipe out that
information. Unless you are completely desperate, or really know what
you're doing, I recommend against low-level formatting.

Of course, if you're an uber geek, and you don't care, all bets are
off.

But PLEASE don't recommend it as a general solution.

As for what I said before... I was kidding. Ranting a bit, really.
Windows install has pissed me off more than once when it found my
prior Windows installation after I did an fdisk to remove the
partition.

If you do a Format first, you'll be fine. Just destroy the directory
information.

Of course, if you want to do a parallel install, as I mentioned,
there are different problems. These days I install the OS on one
drive and most of my data on another. When it's time to re-install,
just wipe out the OS drive and start over.

.. Meantime, I'm learning *nix so I DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS
CRAP ANY MORE. Unless I get a job as a Windows admin or something, in
which case at least I'll be paid for it.

Anybody need a junior admin? I'm smart and I learn pretty quickly.
Limited experience, but some. I can also do PC hardware support.