Mental Patient on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:20:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cross-platform hardware problem

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 13:42, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

> It's possible, just not advisable. IDEs come preformatted and tested
> with bad sectors remapped. That's the real reason they're
> "error-free". If you low-level format, you basically wipe out that
> information. Unless you are completely desperate, or really know what
> you're doing, I recommend against low-level formatting.

Well, yes. You need to verify your media afterward.

> Of course, if you're an uber geek, and you don't care, all bets are
> off.
>
> But PLEASE don't recommend it as a general solution.

Fair enough, I certainly didn't go out of my way to list the risks, and
from a self centered point of view I've only done it a handful of times
and never had a problem. Then again, I've never been afraid of breaking
things. So my bad for not having a disclaimer, thanks for pointing that
out. I'd have felt bad if someone tried that and had a negative
experience. Wasn't thinking.

> If you do a Format first, you'll be fine. Just destroy the directory
> information.
>
> Of course, if you want to do a parallel install, as I mentioned,
> there are different problems. These days I install the OS on one
> drive and most of my data on another. When it's time to re-install,
> just wipe out the OS drive and start over.

Indeed. Another bit of useless trivia, if you have the upgrade only
version of win9x and want to use it as a full install, format C: and
create c:\windows\win.com, it can be an empty file. Thats all windows
verifies when determining if you're upgrading vs installing. I haven't
used this trick in a long long time, but I'm fairly sure it works for
95a&b as well as 98. Never used ME.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

Express yourself, just say yes