Chris Mann on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:26:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Job Titles? (Was: web developer job opening)

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 13:40, Magnus wrote:
<snip>
> Conditions are too good for IT people to band together.  As bad as the
> job market is, those with jobs still have it too good to rally behind
> anything like this.  For some reason with all of the unreasonable
> working conditions IT people are subjected to these days, we tend to
> get over our indignation and accept these expectations.  Those who
> don't fall in line are troublemakers or slackers.
I would tend to agree. Some people say "you worked 30 days straight?
Wow, that's rough!" Generally I respond: "Occupational hazard." I've
also learned to ignore most of the HR speak of taking time off as it is
good for you etc etc. That's probably true, unless you're in the middle
of a big crisis, upgrade, or some other "mission critical" function that
needs to be done. But despite all that I just whined about, it seems the
industry is getting better. The last couple of companies I worked for
were pretty understanding when it came time for IT time off, to the
point of rescheduling projects etc.

> There are some organizations that attempt to do this but are not
> representative enough of the professionals in this field.  Sometimes it
> is because the cost of entry is too high or the opportunity for local
> meetings isn't there.  There are many reasons why these guilds and
> organizations are less than successful.
Ah there in lies the rub. I looked at SAGE, and it has some interesting
ideas and good benefits, but for the $150 a year, that's a little steep
for my pocket. I do understand the need for the dues, and agree with
them, I kind of liken them to Union Dues. However, $150 per year for
information and networking isn't worth it to me. Not when I have other
associations I can go to for much less (PLUG for example).

> And it goes without saying that many of the more talented IT types have
> abrasive personalities, and trying to get them to organize will end up
> turning into a chest thumping contest with each one trying to impress
> upon the others that he is Alpha Geek.
My frag skills are far uber to yours, Sir Magnus! Seriously, I can see
the chest thumping as well. Sadly most of the time it degrades into more
or less name calling and such.

--
Christopher Mann
Systems Administrator