Tom Diehl on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:52:04 -0400

[PLUG] Re: RedHat i386 vs i686 RPMs for kernel and glibc

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Edward M. Corrado wrote:

> I am about to apply some patches to a Pentium II - 266 machine running
> RedHat 9.0. I noticed on the RedHat Mirror that I use there are a few i686
> RPM's and the rest are i386 rpms. In theory, I understand the difference.
> However, since RedHat seems to enjoy shipping i386 RPMs, is there any
> downside to using the i686 RPMs when available. The only i686 ones
> available from the mirror are for the kernel, glibc, nptl-devel (which I
> don't need) and openssl. Basically, I'm wondering if there is any downside
> to going with the i686 RPMs when available. I don't know of any off the
> top of my head, but if I may run into potential conflicts, I'd rather
> forgo the i686 versions for the i386 ones. For some reason, I think I
> might need to be more concerned about glibc then the kernel.

In most instances the best thing to do is use the package that is appropriate for
your arch. When Red Hat builds packages other than i386 it means there are
features/performance gains that get enabled by the alternate arch packages.

Using the i386 package when an i686 or Athlon package is appropriate for your
arch can also cause problems as was evidenced by numerous people upgrading
glibc using an i386 package when i686 was originally installed.

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap		mtd123@rogueind.com